The JA.CA Art and Technology Center is a new initiative in the Brazilian cultural scene, a unique platform for learning and exchange. The Center will house a small contemporary art collection and media library open to the public and host a variety of events ranging from artist talks to workshops. At the heart of its activity is the JACA Residency Program in new media which offers international and Brazilian artists the opportunity to work alongside one another in onsite studios.
JA.CA offers an intensive six to eight week Residency Program for international artists interested in developing projects in new media. The program seeks to unite a group of artists with a commitment to growth through creative practice and rigorous inquiry. As JACA is a place of growth and exchange, equal consideration is given to artists who are using new media for the first time and those who are not.
The following support is provided to international artists selected to create new works under the auspices of JA.CA’s Residency Program 2010:
• Air transportation to and from Belo Horizonte;
• Housing and monthly stipend;
• Use of JA.CA equipment and studios;
• Curatorial support to identify and secure materials;
• Assistance with the installation process;
• Marketing and publicity related to the residency;
• Documentation in the form of an annual catalogue;
• An opening reception to present the exhibition to the public;